A global integrated energy company seeks PREDICTif’s help to find an enterprise dashboard and scorecard solution to track KPIs
A global major integrated energy company.
- An Enterprise Level Dashboard and Scorecards that tracks KPIs against Refinery Actual, Planned, and Scheduled Metrics with reduced data latency and enhanced ease of use
As one of the world’s largest integrated energy companies, our customer conducts business in every aspect of the crude oil and natural gas industry, including exploration and production, manufacturing, marketing and transportation, chemicals manufacturing and sales, geothermal energy, and power generation. Our customer sought an enterprise solution to track key financial and operational KPIs.
- The customer did not have Metrics for key performance indicators in critical financial and operation categories;
- Unable to track down any change in the key metrics and identify the contributing factors to the change;
- No dashboarding capabilities to provide a snapshot view into operational performance at world wide refineries; and
- There was 1-2 day of data latency, and as a result, the reports did not contain up-to-date information.
The customer’s requirement was to create an enterprise level dashboard that tracked key KPI’s against their Actual, Planned and Scheduled Metrics. The scope also included the creation of dashboards and scorecards to give a high level representation of critical operational data.
- Increase visibility — create dashboards that allow the business a high-level view of granular data in order to get to timely address business problems immediately;
- Increase accountability — assigns owners for each metric as well as the accompanying responsibility for performance;
- Increase focus — concentrate on priorities and eliminate distractions;
- Improve communication — communicate results and actions taken to manage performance; and
- Improve collaboration — use metrics to link together people, departments and processes.
After evaluating several world class solutions, IBM Cognos BI was selected for a number of reasons – one of which being IBM Cognos BI provides a highly customizable and informational dashboard and scorecard solution. Cognos metrics studio, metrics designer and framework Manger version 8.4 provide needed metrics functionality to meet the requirements. PREDICTif was engaged to provide an end-to-end BI solution and develop Refinery Metrics and Balanced Scorecards using Cognos Metrics Studio/Metrics Designer 8.4.
- Analyzed existing requirements for the need to created metrics, metrics types, planned values, actual values, charts and various scorecards;
- Installed and configured Metrics Studio and Metrics Designer on the existing Cognos BI 8.4 environment;
- Used Framework Manager to initially model a package that will be used to as a source for creating the metric designer package;
- Created various Metrics and Metrics Types (Actual Vs Scheduled, Actual Vs Planned, Planned Vs Scheduled etc) and compared the different metrics;
- Developed customized Report Studio Reports to be used as part of this metrics analysis;
- Used Metric Designer to create a metric package for use in Metrics Studio;
- Used Custom calendar and performed various admin tasks like pushing data into staging area and then into metric store etc;
- Developed a balanced scorecard based on the various metrics created earlier; and
- Trained Administrators, BA’s and Developers to maintain this metrics model and package and also them on used metric studio.
PREDICTif delivered a Cognos BI solution that increased the visibility to significant business events and enhanced the customer’s ability to detect and resolve business issues and maximize market opportunities.
- The Cognos BI Dashboard provided a consolidated view of refinery operational metrics from all of the customer’s worldwide refinery units;
- The Scorecard solution offered insight into operational issues and enabled teams to design and implement measures to resolve issues;
- The data integration solution significantly reduced the latency and delivered up-to-date information to business users; and
- The customer was able to support and upgrade the solution independently after PREDICTif provided extensive and specific training and detailed documentations.